The key to Luna is that she has that unbelievably rare quality of actually not giving a damn what anyone thinks of her. She’s so comfortable with being different, she’s fearless. It’s sometimes very difficult as a woman to say, ‘well, actually, this is who I am and I’m not going to pretend otherwise.’ But that’s the only way to be truly happy
fairandfinn asked: Do you have any advice for creating fantasy monsters from scratch?
There is a lot to consider. Think about:
- Where do they come from? What is their origin story? Are they a magical species, or a nonmagical creation? Were they brought to life in a lab? Did they evolve from something we might recognize?
- What is their folklore? If they have been around for a long time, your monsters may be an entrenched part of your world’s folklore and mythology. What are the stories mothers tell their children about these monsters? Are there legends surrounding them?
- Where do they live? If your monster was going to be featured in a zoo, what would they need to be happy? What is their habitat like?
- How intelligent are they? How do they communicate? Do they have a language of their own? Do they have a form of government, or do they work on a pack/hivemind mentality? Do they use a spoken language/vocal cues, body language/visual cues, scent marking/smell cues, etc.?
- What do they eat? How do they get it? Are they hunters, gatherers, foragers, scavengers, etc.?
- How has the monster species changed and evolved since it was first created/discovered? Are there subspecies within the broader classification of [monster]?
- Can they be domesticated? Why/why not? What do humans use them for? Can they be kept as pets, companions, hunting aids, guards, etc.?
- What do they look like? Feathers? Fur? Skin? Scales? Something else? Are there regional/subspecies/other varieties that vary from the “normal” look?
- How does it behave? Does it act differently around humans than it does around animals or other monsters? Is there a family dynamic? What does courting/mating/etc. look like? For that matter…
- What about babies? Do they reproduce quickly with lots of offspring per birth, or do they reproduce slowly?
- How about predators? Are they low on the food chain, or do they rule the roost? How do they fight off/avoid predators?
- How do they get sick? Are they especially immune or susceptible to certain illnesses? Is there a disease that only these monsters can contract? Can it spread to other species?
Check out these other posts around the Tumblsphere:
- Making lore behind fantasy creatures
- Do you have advice for creating breeds for a fictional creature?
- Worldbuilding: Flora & Fauna
- How to build a bird
- Worldbuilding: Deities and other mythologies
- Giant post of recommended reading about folklore, mythology, and occult